Birthday Brewery Bash!
Mr. FW celebrated his thirty ninth birthday in August and my in-laws graciously saved our youngsters for 3 days (and two nights!!!!)! We determined in opposition to touring this 12 months–final 12 months we went kid-free to Cambridge, MA–and as an alternative stay-cationed it up. Once I requested my husband what sort of cake he wished me to bake, he replied, “beer.” Wonderful.
We made a reservation at Hill Farmstead (ranked one of the best brewery on the planet) and spent his birthday lounging on their garden, viewing the mountains and sipping beer. Perfection. We additionally went mountaineering, purchased some used snow tires for the Subaru and took a day journey to Burlington, VT. A number of different breweries made their means onto our itinerary: Foam, Queen Metropolis Brewing, Burlington Beer Co and Lawson’s. Vermont is actually considerable with breweries!
Different Individuals’s Birthdays
Many individuals have August birthdays, it appears, together with three of Kidwoods’ pals. Child birthday events introduce a brand new spending conundrum: presents! Up to now, I’ve been capable of finding new (with tags/wrappers on) toys at yard gross sales to reward to the birthday kids. Nevertheless, I haven’t been so fortunate as of late and didn’t have any new presents to repurpose. What to purchase? I spent a while on the outdated web and got here up with the next gem: make-your-own flower crown and headband kits (affiliate hyperlink). At ~$10 every, these are splendid! I like that they’re a craft and a dressing up. I like that they aren’t digital. I like that they don’t require the child to be right into a sure character/ebook/theme. Thus far, the three recipients appear delighted and I’m going to trip this practice till subsequent 12 months.
Littlewoods’ very favourite, very required stuffy is Doggie. Doggie goes to mattress along with her, on automobile journeys, out to the backyard… he has been prevented (many instances) from accompanying us to the seaside. For causes which can be seemingly apparent, Doggie is now on a lifetime ban from the rooster coop and rooster pen. As a result of his well-traveled nature, Doggie has additionally been forgotten in inopportune locales and required emergency extraction.
Moreover resulting from his well-traveled nature, Doggie requires frequent machine washing, which A) places him out of fee in the course of the wash and dry cycles; and B) Is quickly degrading his fur and different integral traits, together with however not restricted to his stitching. In mild of the travails and travels of Doggie, we determined it will be prudent to put money into a backup Doggie Doppelgänger. Fortunately, Doggie is commercially accessible. OG Doggie was, after all, a hand-me-down. Doggie Doppelgänger, however, needed to be bought new (affiliate hyperlink).
Oil & Propane High-Up
I do know it’s fall as a result of we simply topped off our oil and propane tanks! Whereas we warmth primarily with our woodstove (burning wooden that Mr. FW harvests from our land), we have now baseboard oil back-up warmth. It’s crucial for us to have back-up warmth to stop in opposition to frozen pipes within the occasion that: 1) temperatures dip precipitously in a single day and the range can’t sustain; 2) we have to exit of city in the course of the winter months.
The propane is for our cooking range and oven, which we hope to transition to induction sooner or later to capitalize on our solar energy! However for now, we’re caught with propane.
Neither the propane nor the oil was anyplace close to empty, however I make it a behavior (custom?) to fill each up each fall. Within the uncommon occasion that we wanted extra gasoline in the midst of winter, there’s no assure the supply vans would make it down our driveway. The truth is, they’ve informed me they gained’t ship to us in inclement climate. Working example: two years in the past an oil supply truck received caught on our driveway. In the course of dry, balmy September. Yep.
I’ve been watching oil costs and debating when to order, however I lastly simply did it. I concern costs will go up this fall, so I felt good locking within the costs now–though it’s practically double what we paid final 12 months. YIKES.
Right here’s what we paid this 12 months:
252.8 gallons of oil at $4.78/gal = $1,208.38
+19.7 gallons of propane at $3.93/gal = $77.42
= $1,286.80 (we paid $1,261.99 with our “immediate pay” low cost)
I realized just a few years in the past that the majority oil and propane corporations provide a reduction for what they name “immediate pay.” In the event you pay your invoice in full inside a specified timeframe, you get a reduction! And so, our whole was truly $1,261.99. Woohoo! All the time, all the time, all the time ask if there’s a reduction for paying a invoice in full on the time of service–any service! I received the identical sort of low cost on my Lasik eye surgical procedure years in the past. By no means hurts to ask.
Longtime readers will recall that I used to name each single oil and propane firm in our area to check costs, which I do suppose nets one of the best value. Nevertheless, I received lazy just a few years in the past and joined a gasoline membership, which negotiates the costs on behalf of all membership members. Right here’s a deep dive into how I’ve saved hundreds on propane and oil over time.
Since I discover all of our rural methods considerably overwhelming, I began a Google doc once we first moved right here to maintain us on observe with our:
- Oil and propane deliveries
- Chimney sweeping and inspection (for oil and wooden chimneys)
- Septic pumping
- Boiler servicing
Lots of this must be carried out in intervals–not on a easy, annual foundation–so I discover this doc is the one means I can maintain observe!
I Love the Free Expense Tracker from Private Capital!
I take advantage of a free on-line service known as Private Capital to maintain observe of our cash: our spending, our internet value, our investments, our retirement, all the things.
Monitoring bills is without doubt one of the greatest–and best–methods to get a deal with in your funds. You can not make knowledgeable choices about your cash if you happen to don’t know the way you’re spending it or how a lot you could have. In the event you’d wish to know extra about how Private Capital works, try my full write-up.
And not using a holistic image of how a lot you spend each month, there’s no technique to set financial savings, debt compensation, or funding objectives. It’s a should, people. Private Capital (which is free) is an effective way for me to systematize our monetary overviews because it hyperlinks all of our accounts collectively and gives a complete image of our internet value.
In the event you’re not monitoring your bills in an organized vogue, you may take into account making an attempt Private Capital (be aware: the Private Capital hyperlinks are affiliate hyperlinks).
Credit Playing cards: How We Purchase Every part
We purchase all the things we are able to with bank cards as a result of:
It’s simpler to trace bills. No guesswork over the place a random $20 invoice went; all of it reveals up in our month-to-month expense report from Private Capital. I additionally spend much less cash as a result of I KNOW I’m going to see each expense listed on the finish of the month.
- We get rewards. Bank card rewards are a easy technique to get one thing for nothing. Via the playing cards we use, we get money again in addition to resort and airline factors for purchasing stuff we had been going to purchase anyway.
- We construct our credit score. Since we don’t have any debt, having a number of bank cards open for a few years helps our credit score scores. It’s a grimy fantasy that carrying a steadiness in your bank card helps your credit score rating–IT DOES NOT. Paying your playing cards off IN FULL each month and protecting them open for a few years does assist your rating.
For extra on my bank card technique, try:
Money Again Playing cards to Contemplate
In the event you’re now cash-back curious, there are a variety of playing cards available on the market providing fairly good money again percentages. Listed here are just a few I feel are a superb deal:
1) Blue Money Most popular® Card from American Categorical:
- 6% money again at U.S. supermarkets on as much as $6,000 per 12 months in purchases (then 1%).
- 6% money again on choose U.S. streaming subscriptions.
- 3% money again at U.S. gasoline stations and on transit (together with taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and extra).
- 1% money again on different purchases.
- Earn a $350 assertion credit score after you spend $3,000 in purchases in your new card inside the first 6 months.
- $95 annual price. Charges and charges particulars right here.
- Phrases apply
2) Blue Money On a regular basis® Card from American Categorical:
- 3% money again at U.S. supermarkets (on as much as $6,000 per 12 months in purchases, then 1%).
- 3% Money Again at U.S. gasoline stations, on as much as $6,000 per 12 months, then 1%.
- 1% money again on different purchases.
- Earn a $200 assertion credit score after you spend $2,000 in purchases in your new card inside the first 6 months.
- No annual price. Charges and charges particulars right here.
- Phrases apply.
3) Capital One Quicksilver Money Rewards Credit score Card:
- 1.5% money again on each buy, day-after-day.
- $200 money bonus after you spend $500 on purchases inside 3 months from account opening.
- No annual price.
4) Capital One SavorOne Money Rewards Credit score Card:
- Limitless 3% money again on eating, leisure, widespread streaming providers and at grocery shops (excluding superstores like Walmart and Goal).
- 1% again on all different purchases.
- 8% money again on tickets at Vivid Seats by January 2023.
- $200 money bonus after you spend $500 on purchases inside the first 3 months from account opening.
- No annual price.
5) Chase Freedom Limitless®:
- Earn an additional 1.5% on all the things you purchase (on as much as $20,000 spent within the first 12 months), which is value as much as $300 money again:
- 6.5% on journey bought by Chase Final Rewards
- 4.5% on eating and drugstores
- 3% on all different purchases.
- After your first 12 months (or $20,000 spent), you earn:
- 5% money again on Chase journey bought by Chase Final Rewards
- 3% money again on drugstore purchases and eating at eating places, together with takeout and eligible supply service
- Limitless 1.5% money again on all different purchases.
- No annual price.
6) Chase Freedom Flex℠:
- 5% money again on as much as $1,500 in mixed purchases in bonus classes every quarter you activate.
- New 5% classes every quarter.
- 5% money again on journey bought by Chase Final Rewards
- 3% money again on drugstore purchases and eating at eating places, together with takeout and eligible supply service
- Limitless 1% money again on all different purchases.
- $200 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- No annual price.
In the event you’re concerned about journey rewards, folks love the Chase Sapphire Most popular Card®. You possibly can earn 60,000 bonus factors after you spend $4,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening, which is $750 if you redeem by Chase Final Rewards.
Enormous caveat to bank card utilization: you MUST pay your bank card payments in full each single month, with no exceptions. In the event you’re involved about your potential to do that, or suppose utilizing bank cards may immediate you to spend extra, follow a debit card or money. However in case you have no drawback paying that invoice in full each month? I like to recommend you bank card away, my buddy! (be aware: the bank card hyperlinks are affiliate hyperlinks).
Money Again Earned This Month: $68.89
The silver lining to our spending is our money again bank card. We earn 2% money again on each buy made with our Constancy Rewards Visa and, this month, we spent $3,444.56 on that card, which netted us $68.89.
Not some huge cash, but it surely’s cash we earned for purchasing stuff we had been going to purchase anyway! For this reason I like money again bank card rewards–they’re the only technique to earn one thing for nothing.
To see how this provides up over the course of a 12 months, try How I Made $712.59 With My Money Again Credit score Card.
The place’s Your Cash?
One other simple technique to optimize your cash is with a high-interest financial savings account. With these accounts, curiosity works in your favor versus the rates of interest on debt, which work in opposition to you.
Having cash in a no or low curiosity financial savings account is a waste of sources–your cash is simply sitting there doing nothing. Don’t let your cash be lazy! Make it be just right for you! And now, get pleasure from some explanatory math:
Let’s say you could have $5,000 in a financial savings account that earns 0% curiosity. In a 12 months’s time, your $5,000 will nonetheless be… $5,000.
Let’s say you as an alternative put that $5,000 into an American Categorical Private Financial savings account, which–as of this writing–earns 1.75% in curiosity (affiliate hyperlink). In a single 12 months, your $5,000 could have elevated to $5,088. Which means you earned $88 simply by having your cash in a high-interest account.
And also you didn’t need to do something! I’m a giant fan of incomes cash whereas doing nothing. I imply, is anyone not a fan of that? Apparently so, as a result of anybody who makes use of a low or no curiosity financial savings account is NOT getting cash whereas doing nothing. Don’t be that individual.
Be the one that earns cash whereas sleeping. Extra about high-interest financial savings accounts, in addition to those I like to recommend, right here: The Greatest Excessive Curiosity Fee On-line Financial savings Accounts.
Sure, We Solely Paid $28.43 for Cell Cellphone Service (for 2 telephones)
Our cellphone service line merchandise shouldn’t be a typ0 (though that actually is). We actually and really solely paid $28.43 for each of our telephones (that’s $14.22 per individual for these of you into division). How is such trickery potential?!? We use an MVNO!
What’s an MVNO?
Glad you requested as a result of I used to be going to inform you anyway: It’s a cellphone service re-seller.
MVNOs are the TJ Maxx of the cellphone service world–the identical service, A LOT cheaper. In the event you’re not utilizing an MVNO, switching to 1 is a straightforward, slam-dunk, do-it-right-away means to save cash each single month of each single 12 months ceaselessly and ever amen.
Listed here are a two MVNOs to contemplate:
For extra, I’ve a full chart of suppliers and their costs right here: Find out how to Save Cash on Your Cell Cellphone Invoice with an MVNO: I Pay $12 a Month*
*the quantity we pay fluctuates each month as a result of it’s calibrated on what we use. Think about that! We solely pay for what we use! Will wonders ever stop. These MVNO hyperlinks are affiliate hyperlinks.
Expense Report FAQs
- Wish to know the way we handle the remainder of our cash? Take a look at How We Handle Our Cash: Behind The Scenes of The Frugalwoods Household Accounts
- Don’t you could have a rental property? Sure! We personal a rental property (also referred to as our first house) in Cambridge, MA, which I focus on right here.
- Why do I share our bills? To provide you a way of how we spend our cash in a values-based method. Your spending will differ from ours and there’s no “one proper means” to spend and no “good” price range.
- Are we essentially the most frugal frugal folks on earth? Completely not! My hope is that by being clear about our spending, you may acquire insights into your individual spending and be impressed to take proactive management of your cash.
- Questioning the place to start out with managing your cash? Take my free, 31-day Uber Frugal Month Problem.
- In the event you’re concerned about different issues I like, try Frugalwoods Recommends.
- Why don’t you purchase all the things domestically? We do our greatest to help our local people and purchase as a lot of our meals as potential straight from our farmer neighbors. Our city doesn’t have any shops, so we depend on on-line ordering and massive field shops for requirements. The closest shops are 45 minutes away and we go there just a few instances a month to replenish on what we are able to’t get from our neighbors or on-line.
However Mrs. Frugalwoods, Don’t You Pay For X, Y, Or Even Z???
Questioning about frequent bills you don’t see listed under?
- We don’t have a mortgage as a result of we paid it off (particulars right here)
- We pay payments in full the month we obtain them. That’s why you gained’t see month-to-month funds for issues like automobile insurance coverage or property tax. These bills present up as the complete annual (or bi-annual, and many others) quantity within the month we pay them
- Right here’s what we do for medical health insurance.
- We don’t have any money owed and we paid money for our vehicles.
- Right here’s how we make charitable contributions: How We Donate To Charities Like Billionaires and likewise How We Make Significant And Tax Environment friendly Charitable Donations.
- Right here’s an outline of how we save for our youngsters’ increased training: How We Use 529 Plans To Save For Faculty
- We dwell on 66 acres in rural Vermont, so our utilities and family bills are totally different from conventional city and suburban houses:
- We don’t pay for water, sewer, trash, or heating/cooling as a result of we have now a nicely, a septic system, our city doesn’t present trash pick-up (we take it to a switch station as soon as every week in luggage we buy from our city), we warmth our house with wooden we harvest ourselves from our land, and we don’t have central air con (we use window models in the course of the hottest components of the summer season).
- There are, after all, prices related to sustaining these methods (equivalent to having our septic system pumped and inspected) and people bills present up within the months we pay them.
- Now we have photo voltaic panels, which account for our low electrical energy invoice.
- For extra on our rural way of life, try my sequence This Month On The Homestead in addition to Metropolis vs. Nation: Which Is Cheaper? The Final Price Of Residing Showdown
In the event you’re questioning about the rest, be at liberty to ask within the feedback part!
Alright you frugal cash voyeurs, feast your eyes on each greenback we spent in August:
|Property Taxes||$9,015.01||Annual property taxes on our Vermont homestead: 66 acres, 1 home, 1 barn|
|Oil and Propane||$1,261.99||Annual quantity|
|Gasoline for vehicles||$283.84|
|Family provides||$282.33||Massively thrilling objects, equivalent to: dishwasher pods, laundry detergent, craft provides, printer paper, motor oil, toiletries, nutritional vitamins, toothpaste, shampoo, and many others…|
|Money withdrawal||$200.00||ATM withdrawal for my yard sale adventures! Remind me to do an end-of-season wrap-up on all my nice finds 🙂|
|Birthday Brewery visits||$191.14||Foam, Queen Metropolis, Lawson’s, Hill Farmstead, Burlington Beer Co|
|Passport Renewals||$160.00||Each of our passports had been due for renewal!|
|Beer to Go||$115.34||Mr. FW’s birthday presents|
|Children Summer time camp||$100.00||Last fee for the women’ 2 day/week summer season camp.|
|MA Dept. of Taxes||$87.52||Taxes owed to the state of MA (the place our rental is situated)|
|Oats||$83.29||50 lbs of bulk, uncooked, natural oats. We retailer them in these pet meals containers, that are cheaper than human meals containers, however work in precisely the identical means (affiliate hyperlink).|
|Ski Socks (2 pairs)||$62.00||Fall is within the air and ski season cometh! Determined to interrupt down and purchase the costly ski socks from Darn Robust that everybody raves about. We didn’t have ski socks final season and everybody informed us we wanted them. So now we have now them.|
|Random Amazon objects that ended up in the identical order||$44.86||1) Hand Strengthening Balls. I’ve been having hand ache and my bodily therapist beneficial hand workout routines that contain balls. That’s a Clueless reference and an affiliate hyperlink multi function sentence.
2) Mesh Laundry Hampers. The ladies requested to every have their very own laundry hamper. Who am I to disclaim them this surprise?
These are affiliate hyperlinks.
|Medical health insurance month-to-month premium||$52.43|
|Native beef||$50.00||8lbs of native natural, grass-fed beef|
|Overalls||$49.99||New pair of labor overalls for Mr. FW (affiliate hyperlink).|
|Vermont Woodlands Annual Dues||$40.00|
|Lunch date with Littlewoods!||$36.53||Kidwoods began 1st grade just a few days earlier than Littlewoods began preschool, so I took her out for a particular mommy-and-me lunch date!|
|Utilities: Electrical energy||$33.00||Now we have photo voltaic (which I element right here); that is our month-to-month base value for remaining grid tied.|
|Cellular phone service for 2 telephones||$28.43||Thanks, low-cost MVNO!|
|Three headband/flower crown-making craft packages for birthday presents||$29.99||They’ve choices for flower crown OR headband-making kits (affiliate hyperlink). I’ve bought each sorts and been happy with each.|
|Health ring||$15.89||I received this health circle (ring? thighmaster?) for leg strengthening (one other suggestion from my PT/osteopractor) (affiliate hyperlink).|
|Doggie Doppelgänger||$13.73||The one, the one, the Doggie Doppelgänger (affiliate hyperlink).|
|Parking||$10.80||Parking meter utilization whereas in Massive Cities|
|Stainless Metal Hose Clamps||$10.59||Stainless Metal Hose Clamps for changing rusted ones on the tractor (affiliate hyperlink).|
How was your August?
By no means Miss A Story
Signal as much as get new Frugalwoods tales in your e mail inbox.