With at the very least 20 insurance coverage insurance policies and a decade masking the trade underneath my belt, I used to be tempted to suppose I’ve seen all of it in relation to insurance coverage. However Lemonade, a digital insurance coverage firm, actually simplifies insurance coverage buying, shopping for, and claims for individuals who have higher issues to do. And don’t all of us?
Lemonade is inexpensive, tech-savvy, and super-easy to make use of. It’s additionally severe about giving again, sending a big share of premiums to charities chosen by its policyholders. It’s not excellent, nevertheless it’s positively price a more in-depth look in case you’re available in the market for a brand new property, life, auto, or pet insurance coverage coverage.
What Is Lemonade?
Lemonade is a web-based insurance coverage firm that gives a number of varieties of insurance coverage for shoppers. Its insurance coverage merchandise embrace:
That each one sounds fairly customary, however Lemonade isn’t your run-of-the-mill insurance coverage firm. They deal with the cash you give them as your cash. If on the finish of the 12 months, they’ve money left over, they take what quantities to a upkeep price and donate the remainder of it to the charity of your selection.
And Lemonade doesn’t simply do proper by its policyholders. As an authorized B-corp, a company that operates as a lot to learn society as earn money, Lemonade’s enterprise mannequin incorporates revenue, folks, and planet. Lemonade vegetation bushes to offset its automotive insurance coverage clients’ carbon emissions and donates a portion of its annual income to charity. And in some way, it’s nonetheless one of many extra inexpensive insurance coverage corporations round.
How Lemonade Insurance coverage Stacks Up
Lemonade stacks up effectively towards greater insurance coverage corporations regardless of its extra restricted vary of merchandise and shorter observe file.
However is Lemonade the only option for you? See the way it compares to Progressive, the USA’ largest auto insurer and third-biggest property casualty insurance coverage firm general.
|Varieties of Insurance coverage||Residence, renters, auto, pet well being, life||All that and extra|
|Premiums||Beginning at $5 per thirty days for renters insurance coverage||Minimums undisclosed|
|A.M. Finest Score||N/A||A+ (Superior)|
What Units Lemonade Aside?
There’s no scarcity of respected insurance coverage corporations wanting to seize your insurance coverage premiums. It’s all a bit overwhelming.
Thankfully, Lemonade stands out from the pack for a number of massive causes.
- Reasonably priced Premiums. Lemonade could be very inexpensive. Like, starving-student inexpensive. Renters insurance coverage premiums begin at simply $5 per thirty days, life insurance coverage premiums at simply $9 per thirty days, and pet medical health insurance premiums round $10 per thirty days. However the choices are additionally scalable, which means the remainder of us can doubtlessly discover the appropriate protection too. We’ll simply pay extra for it.
- Social Accountability. Lemonade doesn’t simply pay lip service to social accountability and environmental stewardship. It donates severe cash to charity and goes above and past to offset auto insurance coverage clients’ carbon emissions.
- Tremendous-Simple to Apply and File a Declare. Lemonade is probably the most tech-savvy insurance coverage firm I’ve come throughout thus far. It takes just some minutes to use for and activate a brand new coverage, and the all-digital claims course of is a breeze too.
Lemonade Insurance coverage Merchandise & Pricing
Lemonade affords a restricted however helpful mixture of merchandise. You may bundle any mixture of Lemonade insurance coverage varieties to snag a bundle low cost. The precise quantity of the low cost varies relying on which insurance policies you mix and what number of you have got, however anticipate at the very least 10% off the mixed premium.
Lemonade affords 5 varieties of insurance coverage merchandise.
Renters Insurance coverage
Lemonade’s renters insurance coverage insurance policies begin at simply $5 per thirty days. That’s considerably cheaper than many opponents, so take word in case you’re on a decent price range.
One partial clarification for Lemonade’s affordability is that your coverage is totally customizable, and your premium depends upon your protection limits. You set your protection limits based mostly on the worth of the stuff you wish to insure, the private legal responsibility limits you suppose you want, and your required non permanent dwelling expense allowance.
Lemonade renters insurance coverage consists of three core varieties of protection:
- Private Property Protection. Lemonade protects the contents of your condominium or dwelling — something not owned by the property proprietor or thought of a part of the dwelling itself — towards lined perils, resembling fireplace, storm harm, inner water leaks, and theft. It’s possible you’ll must pay a bit further so as to add endorsements (aka riders, that are add-on insurance policies for particular circumstances) for helpful objects like high-quality artwork and musical devices.
- Legal responsibility Protection. Lemonade will help cowl the price of lawsuits as a consequence of accidents that occur inside your rented dwelling. It additionally covers medical bills for folks injured in your house.
- Non permanent Dwelling Bills (Loss-of-Use Protection). In case your rented dwelling turns into unlivable for a lined motive, resembling a burst water pipe or fireplace, Lemonade pays for various dwelling preparations, resembling a resort or condominium sublease.
Apartment or Householders Insurance coverage
Lemonade affords inexpensive owners insurance coverage for individuals who personal indifferent, single-family houses and condominium insurance coverage for individuals who personal townhomes or condominium models in bigger buildings. Protection begins at $25 per thirty days — once more, decrease than many opponents.
That stated, owners insurance coverage premiums are extra unstable than renters insurance coverage premiums as a result of houses fluctuate so extensively in worth. In case you reside in a $1 million dwelling, you need to pay much more than $25 per thirty days. However you’re in all probability used to that.
Your premiums depend upon the worth of your property’s contents, your legal responsibility limits, and your non permanent dwelling expense allowance. As with renters insurance coverage, Lemonade makes it straightforward to customise these variables. You may set a excessive deductible in case you’re keen to pay extra out of pocket after a declare or maintain it low in case you’re keen to pay a better premium to restrict your out-of-pocket publicity.
As with different insurance coverage corporations, owners and condominium insurance coverage premiums additionally fluctuate based mostly on elements like:
- The worth of your property
- The estimated price to rebuild it after a complete loss
- Its age
- Its location
- The age and sort of roof
- Its development kind and supplies
Like nearly all owners insurance coverage corporations, Lemonade has escrow preparations with all main dwelling lenders and mortgage servicing corporations. If you wish to embrace your owners insurance coverage fee in your month-to-month mortgage fee — generally known as “escrowing the fee” — it’s a snap to arrange.
Pet Well being Insurance coverage
Lemonade affords pet insurance coverage for pet house owners who wish to offset the price of their furry associates’ medical care.
Premiums begin at $10 per thirty days however fluctuate based mostly on pet-specific elements like species, breed, age, and recognized medical situations. Premiums additionally fluctuate based mostly in your protection limits and reimbursement proportion (coinsurance proportion).
You’ll get a 5% low cost you probably have a number of pets in your coverage and one other 5% low cost if you pay your premium yearly as a substitute of month-to-month. So you probably have two pets and sufficient within the financial institution to cowl a three-digit annual fee, Lemonade affords compelling worth.
Lemonade’s pet medical health insurance insurance policies are complete too. They cowl:
- Diagnostics like urinalysis, X-rays, MRIs, heartworm exams, and lab work
- One wellness examination per 12 months
- Routine dental cleansing
- As much as three vaccinations per 12 months
- Outpatient companies
- Specialty care
- Emergency companies, together with surgical procedure
- Scheduled surgical procedure
- Inpatient stays (hospitalization)
- Prescription medicines and in-office injections
- Limitless on-line chat with veterinary drugs specialists — which is decidedly not customary within the pet insurance coverage world
And you may customise your coverage’s annual protection restrict, deductible, and coinsurance proportion.
Automotive Insurance coverage
Lemonade’s auto insurance coverage insurance policies begin at $30 per thirty days. As with different varieties of insurance coverage, your premiums fluctuate based mostly on elements like:
- Your automobile make and mannequin
- Your automobile’s powertrain kind — Lemonade clients pay much less to insure electrical and hybrid autos than totally gas-powered autos
- Your driving habits and the way a lot you drive every year
- Your automobile’s age
- Your coverage deductible
- Your protection limits for every kind of protection on the coverage — legal responsibility protection and collision protection usually have totally different limits, for instance
- What varieties of protection your coverage consists of — non-compulsory coverages like collision and complete protection price extra
Lemonade’s auto insurance coverage insurance policies include further coverages and perks like roadside help, towing protection, and glass protection. In case you drive an electrical automobile or plug-in hybrid, Lemonade covers your charging tools and affords emergency roadside charging as effectively. These perks make Lemonade an appropriate selection if you’d like peace of thoughts on the street however can’t see the worth in paying for a AAA membership.
There may be one potential deal-breaker for some drivers. Lemonade requires you to make use of an app to trace your driving based mostly in your location. It’s commonplace for automotive insurance coverage corporations to supply reductions for permitting them to trace your driving habits (a apply generally known as telematics). What’s uncommon is required monitoring and the truth that Lemonade makes use of an app you in all probability carry if you’re not in your automotive to trace your driving quite than a separate gadget that plugs into your automobile.
That presents vital privateness considerations as a result of an app that at all times is aware of the place you might be, effectively, at all times is aware of the place you might be. Irrespective of how intently Lemonade guards it, there’s at all times an opportunity this data can fall into the unsuitable palms. So in case you’re uncomfortable with required phone-based location monitoring, Lemonade automotive insurance coverage won’t be best for you.
Life Insurance coverage
Lemonade affords time period life insurance coverage insurance policies with no medical examination required. Premiums begin at $9 per thirty days however fluctuate based mostly on elements like:
- How a lot protection you want (your loss of life profit) — protection ranges as much as $1.5 million, increased than many no-exam suppliers
- Your age if you apply — insurance policies can be found to candidates between the ages of 18 and 60, which is a bit older than another no-exam suppliers
- Your coverage’s time period — choices vary from 10 years to 30 years, with decrease premiums for shorter phrases
- Your private and household well being historical past
- Your private well being historical past, together with any recognized medical situations
Premiums stay stage for all the time period. Your coverage solely pays out in case you die whereas it’s in impact. In any other case, it expires nugatory when the time period ends otherwise you cease paying your premiums.
One disadvantage of Lemonade life insurance coverage is that there are not any everlasting life insurance policies, resembling complete life. In case you’re in search of lifelong protection, Lemonade gained’t be just right for you.
All Lemonade time period life insurance coverage insurance policies are underwritten by the North American Firm for Life and Well being Insurance coverage, which has been in enterprise for 130 years and counting. So whereas Lemonade is comparatively new, you’ll be able to take solace in understanding that it’s backed by an organization older than any human on Earth has been alive.
Further Options of Lemonade Insurance coverage
Selecting an insurance coverage firm isn’t all concerning the plan varieties and value. You additionally wish to know what else you’ll be able to anticipate out of your expertise with the corporate.
Software Course of
Lemonade makes it straightforward to get protection with a fast, all-digital utility course of. The corporate says it takes simply 90 seconds to use. And whereas I can’t vouch for the precise period of time as a result of I didn’t time it, I can verify it’s fast. My quote for owners insurance coverage positively didn’t take lengthy. I simply answered a collection of straightforward questions, and it gave me a quote.
Lemonade has an approachable utility course of led by Maya, its AI onboarding persona. Whichever kind of insurance coverage you’re making use of for, Maya leads you thru the method with a collection of easy-to-understand questions.
The entire thing takes just a few minutes, which is way sooner than conventional insurance coverage functions. In case you’ve been pushing aside making use of for insurance coverage as a result of you’ll be able to’t spare the time, Lemonade is ideal for you.
Not all Lemonade insurance coverage merchandise can be found in every single place.
Time period life insurance coverage is probably the most widespread. It’s extremely seemingly Lemonade sells it in your state. Different varieties are extra hit and miss. For instance, Lemonade owners insurance coverage is on the market in 23 states plus the District of Columbia as of August 2022. That’s an issue if you wish to bundle as many insurance policies as doable with Lemonade.
To be honest, Lemonade continues to be a younger firm, and it repeatedly provides new markets. However verify Lemonade’s The place We’re Reside web page to see if the product you want is on the market in your state. If it’s not accessible, you’ll be able to join a notification when it launches.
Claims Course of
If the worst occurs and you need to file a declare, it doesn’t take for much longer to file a kind of than it does to join insurance coverage — simply three minutes, in accordance with the corporate. I haven’t filed a declare, however because the utility course of lived as much as the hype, I’ve no motive to doubt the claims course of does too.
The whole lot flows by way of the app — declare reporting, documentation, communication with claims adjusters, claims selections, and even appeals if it involves that.
The Lemonade app is user-friendly and never as glitchy as some opponents’ apps, which really feel extra like afterthoughts. Lemonade was designed round an app, so it simply works.
Lemonade’s Giveback program places a portion of the premiums you pay for insurance coverage towards the charity of your selection. Right here’s the way it works:
- Every Lemonade policyholder chooses a charity they care about when making use of for a coverage
- Lemonade takes a flat price out of your premium to pay itself for administering the insurance coverage
- Lemonade pays out claims utilizing premiums paid by clients
- On the finish of the 12 months, Lemonade sends no matter’s left over to its clients’ charities
Lemonade vegetation bushes to assist offset the carbon its auto insurance coverage policyholders generate by driving. It doesn’t promise a 100% offset, nevertheless it does use your location data to calculate your automotive’s approximate annual carbon footprint. Lemonade then makes use of that data to find out what number of bushes to plant to at the very least partially offset your emissions.
Is Lemonade Legit?
Sure, Lemonade is reliable.
Certain, the model has solely been round for just a few years and isn’t a family identify like Geico or New York Life. However its financials are robust and it’s a publicly traded identify (NYSE: LMND), which suggests any would-be policyholder can do their due diligence on the corporate earlier than shopping for a coverage.
And Lemonade’s life insurance coverage protection is underwritten by the North American Firm for Life and Well being Insurance coverage, a 130-year-old insurer that’s in wonderful monetary form and has no plans to go anyplace.
Benefits of Lemonade Insurance coverage
Lemonade is an inexpensive, user-friendly insurance coverage firm. It’s enjoyable to work with and appropriate for folks from all walks of life. And it has some clear benefits.
- Broad Vary of Insurance coverage Merchandise Out there. Lemonade dwelling insurance coverage to your dwelling and its contents, Lemonade automotive insurance coverage to your automobile and legal responsibility on the street, Lemonade pet insurance coverage to your pet’s medical payments — it’s fairly the portfolio. And you may create a customized bundle to save lots of much more.
- Tremendous-Quick Software Course of. Lemonade’s AI-led utility course of is quick and simple. No paper functions or lengthy, boring cellphone conversations with brokers wanting to upsell you.
- Very Low Premiums. Lemonade stands out for comparatively low insurance coverage prices regardless of impressively complete protection choices. For instance, renters protection begins at simply $5 per thirty days, and time period life protection begins at simply $9 per thirty days.
- Quick Claims Course of. Lemonade makes the insurance coverage claims course of straightforward, if not enjoyable. The whole lot goes by way of the user-friendly Lemonade cell app with minimal human interplay. And it has some spectacular claims stats if it does say so itself.
Disadvantages of Lemonade Insurance coverage
Lemonade has just a few notable downsides for some would-be policyholders. They might not have an effect on some, however they might be deal-breakers for others.
- Comparatively Low Most Protection Quantity for Life Insurance coverage. Lemonade’s life insurance coverage protection tops out at $1.5 million. That’s sufficient for most individuals, however in case you’re a excessive earner or have vital money owed and dwelling bills, you in all probability need extra.
- Not Out there All over the place. Lemonade affords insurance coverage protection in most states, together with massive ones like California, New York, Florida, and Texas. However not all Lemonade merchandise can be found in all states, so that you won’t be capable to construct as complete a bundle as you’d like.
- Lemonade Auto Insurance coverage Requires Location Monitoring. Lemonade’s requirement that automotive insurance coverage clients share their location whereas driving is a reliable privateness concern. In case you’re uncomfortable with Lemonade understanding the place you might be always, Lemonade automotive insurance coverage isn’t for you.
Alternate options to Take into account
Lemonade affords 5 several types of insurance coverage. It has loads of competitors for every. So in case you’re not constructive Lemonade is the only option to your insurance coverage wants, take into account these options.
|Insurance coverage Firm||Finest For|
|State Farm||Complete life insurance coverage|
|Geico||Low-cost automotive insurance coverage|
|Amica||Low-cost renters insurance coverage and wonderful bundle reductions|
|Embrace Pet Insurance coverage||Complete (although barely costlier) pet medical health insurance|
Lemonade stands out because of low premiums, straightforward utility and claims processes, and stable bundle choices.
In case you’re available in the market for a brand new insurance coverage firm, Lemonade is price a more in-depth look. However first, guarantee it affords the kind of insurance coverage you need in your house state, and think twice about whether or not its advantages make up for its shortcomings. If not, verify the chart above to seek out another that higher fits your wants.